We are instructed in scriptures to set our minds on the things that are above. What does this mean? Why should we do it? How do we go about it? Let's learn in today's teaching.
- Where in the Bible does it say set your mind on things above?
Setting our minds on things that are above was an instruction from the Lord, through Apostle Paul—not just to the Colossians but to the early and end time Church at large.
Colossians 3:2 NIVSet your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
Colossians 3:2 KJVSet your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Set Your Mind On Things Above Meaning
The need to set our minds on things that are above is vital to Christian living and indispensable to our walk with God.
We find many instances in scriptures where our Lord Jesus tried to raise people's consciousness from the earthly, towards heavenly things. Jesus did this because He understands the gravity of the danger attached to being earthly minded.
John 8:23 KJVAnd he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.
John 3:31 KJVHe that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.
John 3:12 KJVIf I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
Some good examples of the outcomes of setting one's mind on things beneath, can be seen in the way many people understood and responded to most of the things Jesus taught. We've also seen that the Lord was often disappointed by such responses.
Matthew 15:16-18 KJVAnd Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?  Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?  But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
Matthew 16:11 KJVHow is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
Matthew 13:13 KJVTherefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
Dangers Of Setting The Mind On Things Beneath
- Do not set your mind on earthly things?
Having one's mind set on the things that are beneath is the same as having a carnal mind. You can tell that Jesus does not like this at all!
Even the disciples got lost whenever Jesus tried to explain to them certain spiritual truths. That was because they were carnally minded.
Romans 8:6 KJVFor to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
1 Corinthians 2:14 KJVBut the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
The natural man has a carnal mind, and will always understand and interpret spiritual things from an earthly and literal standpoint.
Everyone who has their mind fixed on things beneath becomes a danger, not just to themselves but also to those around them.
Those who set their minds on earthly things will always experience difficulty growing spiritually. This isn't God's will for us.
Keep Your Mind On Things Above
To set one's mind on things that are above simply means to be heavenly mind.
- What does it mean to be heavenly minded?
Being heavenly minded doesn't just end at living with eternity in view. It goes way beyond that. Everyone who is heavenly minded should as well be spiritually minded.
Jesus Christ has His mind firmly fixed on things that are above. He is heavenly minded and also spiritually minded. He isn't carnal. This is the standard of living on earth, which is expected of a every genuine Christian.
In The World But Not Of The World
The evidence on whether we have our mind set on things that are above or not, is manifest in the way we live in this present world. We cannot have our minds set on heavenly things and at the same time lead a worldly life.
How To Set Your Mind On Things Above
Before a Christian can successfully have their mind set on things that are above, they must first of all get their mind renewed. You might want to read How To Renew The Mind.
1. Keep Your Mind On Things That Are Pure
To set our minds on things that are above demands that we keep our minds on things that are pure. This a daily task. On a daily basis, a Christian who is determined to set their mind on things above should make deliberate efforts towards thinking only pure thoughts.
Philippians 4:8 KJVFinally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
- In order to be able to think pure thoughts, we must master the art of casting down unholy imaginations, taking captive of unGodly thoughts (2 Corinthians 10:5) and replacing them with Godly thoughts.
- Start your day asking the Holy Spirit to give you thoughts from above and block sinful thoughts from getting to you.
- Memorize and Meditate on the Word (Joshua 1:8). This has proven to be reliable when it comes to thinking Godly and pure thoughts.
Psalm 119:11 KJVThy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
2. What You Set Your Mind On Determines The Direction Of Your Life
Luke 12:34 KJVFor where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Understand that whatever you set your mind on determines your direction in life. People create ungodly goals and aspirations for their life and begin to chase after them because their mind is set on unGodly things.
You don't want to chase after things that will end you up in Hell. Set your mind on things that are above.
Matthew 6:33 KJVBut seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Benefits Of Setting Your Mind On Things Above
There are innumerable benefits of setting our minds on things that are above. We cannot exhaust all in a blog post.
- Setting our minds on things that are above guarantees us Heaven. Carnality makes people flutter within earthly things, thereby jeopardising their salvation.
- Setting our minds on things that are above keeps us from sin and keeps us holy.
- When we have our minds set on things that are above, we are transformed from a natural (carnal) people to a spiritual people.
- Comprehending spiritual truths becomes easy when we have our minds set on things above.
- When our minds are set on things that are above, the enemy neither finds a foothold in our life nor a legal right to oppress us.
- When our mind is set on things above, we are able to prove things that are good, acceptable, perfect, will of God (Romans 12:2). We are also able to guide others to walk in them. Bad and unGodly advice often comes from carnal people who have their minds set on things beneath.
Final Words On Setting The Mind On Things Above
It is the will of God that we turn from being carnal to being spiritual. That is the essence of setting our minds on things that are above.
To be carnally minded is death (Romans 8:6). That death means eternal separation from God. Carnality can cost one their salvation. There will be no carnal Christian in Heaven.
God bless you.
You are NOT allowed to copy and redistribute our content in any format!
Read This Next